Diaspora by the Numbers

  • Language: More than 82% of Puerto Ricans, five and older speak English. The remaining 18% report speaking English less than “very well.”
  • Age: The median age of Hispanics in Puerto Rico is 36, higher than it is for all Hispanics (27) in the 50 states and D.C. and higher than it is for Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics (28) in the 50 states and D.C.
  • Marital status: Some 37% of Hispanics in Puerto Rico are married, a share equal to that among Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. However, both groups are less likely to be married than all Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. Among them, 45% are married
  • Regional dispersion: Most have settled in New York, California, Texas, and Florida.
    -Bronx County in New York has the largest Puerto Rican populations in the U.S.
  • Educational attainment: More than one-in-five (22%) Hispanics in Puerto Rico have a bachelor’s degree. For Puerto Ricans living in the 50 states and D.C. 16% have a college degree. Among all Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. just 13% have a bachelor’s degree.
  • Income: The median annual personal earnings for Hispanics in Puerto Rico ages 16 and older was $14,400; median earnings for Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. was $25,000 and among all Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. it was $20,000.
  • Poverty status: More than four-in-ten (44%) Hispanics in Puerto Rico live in poverty, a share higher than that among Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. who live in poverty (24%) or all Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. (23%).
  • Health insurance: Fewer than one-in-ten (8%) Hispanics in Puerto Rico do not have health insurance, a share lower than among Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics living in the 50 states and D.C. (15%) or among all Hispanics living in the 50 states and D.C. (32%).
  • Homeownership: The rate of homeownership (72%) in Puerto Rico is higher than the rate among Puerto Rican-origin Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. (39%), or all Hispanics in the 50 states and D.C. (48%). The homeownership rate in Puerto Rico is also higher than it is among all Americans (66%).